Trevella is sited in a pre-historical landscape with numerous bronze age mounds in the locality. The fields around Trevella are several thousand years old and it is probable that the site has been continuously occupied since then. Coins found at Trevella include Roman and Charles 1 coins. Trevella belongs to the parish of St Erme, which is named for St Hermes who was born in Greece and lived and died in Rome as martyr in 120.
The name Trevella has many different spellings and has appeared as Trefulloe in 1771, Trevellow in 1815. In the Doomsday records of 1087 AD, Trevella is shown as a small holding attached to Killigrew, which was the seat of the Arwenack family, which later founded Falmouth in 1600.
John Haweis, a Truro doctor, owned ‘Trefulloe’ for many years and when he died in 1760 he then left the house now named ‘Trevella’ to his sister from here it passed to David Haweis of Killiow. However, the will was so complicated that the legal costs resulted in it being sold in 1782 for £1,100 to John James, who in 1790 built the Georgian extension to the original medieval house. Unfortunately, a fire burnt the house in 1815 and the interiors were burnt. The house was not insured but the house was rebuilt at a cost of £1500 by its then owner George Simmons, who also purchased the neighbouring Polglaze to give it a good approach from the main road. The curious ‘Tower Lodge’ was the gatehouse and dates from this period.
In 1935, the house was bought by William Bickford-Smith Esq. and then in 1954 the house and estate was purchased as a wedding gift by Lord Falmouth for his daughter who lived there until the house was sold in 2006 to the present owner.